Monday, January 5, 2009

Pep Talk

Today I feel discouraged, a little down. So, I am giving myself the pep talk I would give to my best friend, if she needed it. Here goes:

This is a journey, and not a finish line event. You are letting go bad habits, while establishing good habits, with much prayer, thought and meditation. In the past, you have committed to this weight loss journey, and at the beginning, felt excited, expectant, full of faith. Now comes the drudgery, the middle that seems to stretch on forever, and yet, it is only perception of such. Just do the next right thing, and don't stress about tomorrow or next month.

Break the time down to manageable units that your mind can handle easily and not get so discouraged. If a day seems insurmountable, break it into small segments. Just think about getting through this morning, this next hour, this minute. Stay in the present moment and listen for that still voice within that has guided you so wisely to this point in time, to continue to gently guide you to the next right thing to do. Seek help from those who have your back, and remember, this too will pass. The discouragement will pass, if you do not hold onto it and clutch it to your chest like it is the truth. The truth is that you CAN do it. You have been doing it, you just need a shot of optimism.

I believe the truth that will set me free from the middle blues is this: God will never leave me or forsake me. He is as close as the very air I breath. So, breathe in air and imagine, that life giving oxygen is, in fact, God fanning the sparks of my faith into a motivating fire deep in the very heart of me and renewing my spirit to transform my drooping spirit into a firm commitment to not give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never give up.

Proverbs 16:3 guides me today. Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.

I'm going to work now, with my preplanned and measured lunch of 3 oz. chicken breast, 1/2 c. brown rice and 1 c. green beans ready to nuke in the microwave. My temptation buster is an apple that I can quickly grab and eat when I need a pickmeup during the day. I have the evening meal defrosted. Pork loin, a large salad and asparagus is on the menu. I plan to take a walk later, too, to walk off calories and the days cares.

I commit this to the Lord, and now I will do my footwork and give the results to God.

I don't feel so stuck now. I feel hopeful. I am so glad I did not talk myself into giving up. I am learning to treat myself well, and to nurture myself, which is another good habit I've been working on, for I believe that as I let go bad habits and keep good habits, that all that good self care will start to melt the fat off my body. I won't need it anymore to feel bad about myself. One day at a time, I can do this.

So help me, God, I will not give up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I never tell you often enough that I think you are doing a great job, Sorry! I know what a struggle it is for you and I commend you for not giving up. I Love You! Jerry.